Thursday 10 October 2013

                                                 
                                                            Happily ever after

George looked up from shoeing the horse to see the outline of Curley's wife in the doorway of the barn. They were alone. "What do you want?" George said shortly.
     "Well my plan is easy as pie" she retorted slyly. "I heard your friend Lennie talking about the ranch house youre gonna buy together".
     "Damn blabbering idiot! George exclaimed angrily under his breath. "Well the guy doesnt know what hes talkin' about hes dumber than a sack of potatoes!". A cool stare set over her face and as quickly as George's temper had flared up, he fell silent. This was the calm before the storm and George knew he was in for it now.
     "Whats it to ya anyways?" George finally said meekly
     "Youre a smart guy George, do I seem happy to you?"
George contemplated the different things he could say, then finally rested on what he believed would anger her the least.
     "Why... I reckon so ma'am." George said calmly
     "Well I aint'!" Curley's wife snapped angrily, trying to mask the sorrow that had suddenly crept into her voice.
But like Curley's wife had pointed out, George was a smart guy and he immediately decrypted the poorly hidden message Curley's wife was trying so hard to keep to herself.
     "So I reckon livin with Curley aint no walk in the park?" George added in a tone in which he hoped would lighten the mood.
Curley's wife wiped away a tear with a quiet laugh that reassured George that he had not angered her with this accusation.
     "How could you tell?" Curley's wife stated facetiously. "Curley cant read between the lines that I aint happy and never will be able to, so I don't know why I don't just get outta dodge."
     "Where would you go?" George inquired with a sudden fascination for her hypothetical escape.
      "Wherever the wind takes me!" She said confidently "I've always wanted to be in the movies, and a man once offered me a job but I turned it down because I was marryin' Curley, and what a mistake that was."
She looked off into the distance most likely envisioning her life without a ball and chain.
      "All that glitters is not gold you know" George added insightfully
      "What do you know about glitter Mr. Milton?" Curley's wife added in an innocent and playful manner.
     "Not a damn thing ma'am, but that's exactly my point."
     "You got my attention" she said while stepping closer to where George was kneeling.
George took a break and stood up from shoeing the horse, and sat on a hay bale.
     "After me and Lennie buy that ranch you should come and live there with us!" He said surprisingly calmly considering the weight of what he had just suggested.
     "Its a diamond in the rough but we can fix it up easy, and a woman's touch would sure help a lot" George added in a desperate tone.
      "George, you don't have to convince me none" she said with a happiness that couldn't be contained, "I'm in."

    

No comments:

Post a Comment